As we age, our teeth and gums undergo changes just like any other part of our body. These changes can lead to common dental issues, including yellow teeth, receding gums, cracked teeth, worn teeth, and missing teeth. To maintain good oral health and combat the effects of aging, it's crucial to take proactive steps. Here are some key practices to consider:
- At-Home Oral Care: Implementing a comprehensive oral care routine, starting at an early age, is vital. This includes using a power toothbrush to effectively clean your teeth and gums at home.
- Regular Dental Visits: Scheduling regular dental check-ups and cleanings at our Aurora dental office is essential for controlling dental diseases. These visits allow our Aurora dentists to detect and address concerns such as tooth decay, gum disease, and tooth wear in a timely manner.
- Bite Splint Appliances: To prevent tooth wear and alleviate symptoms related to temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorders, bite splint appliances can be used. These custom-made appliances slow down or stop the progression of tooth wear caused by grinding or clenching during sleep.
- Orthodontics: Maintaining straight teeth through orthodontic treatments can improve both the aesthetics and functionality of your teeth. Properly aligned teeth are easier to clean and less prone to issues like tooth decay and gum disease.
- Replacing Missing Teeth: Missing teeth can lead to various dental problems, including bite shifting, tooth and gum issues, and jaw joint problems.
- Good Nutrition: Maintaining a well-balanced diet with essential nutrients, including vitamins and minerals and reducing the consumption of sugary foods and beverages can significantly lower the risk of tooth decay.
- Avoiding Bad Oral Hygiene Habits such as quitting smoking and avoiding drugs.
- Fixing damaged, worn, broken and decayed teeth.
- Special Protocols for Specific Conditions such as pregnancy, cancer, or diabetes.
There are some cosmetic procedures that can help you regain a more youthful and happy appearance such as:
- Teeth Whitening
- Dental Recontouring
- Porcelain Veneers
- Dental Implants
- Restoring Worn Dentition
To learn more about these procedures and how they can benefit your oral health, please contact our dental office in Aurora to schedule a consultation with Dr. Shasha!